Monday 12 September 2011

Remembering

Yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon in America. I was on my way home from school (due to the time difference it was afternoon here) when I heard about it on the radio. When we got in, I switched on the tv and sat there, tears pouring down my face as I watched the footage on the news. My tears were for the lives lost, and the people who would have to live without their loved ones.
Even now, reading the stories of those who lost friends and family members I tear up. It's a pain I hope never to have to face. Losing a loved one in such a violent and pointless way.
Did it change anything? It did, but not necessarily for the better. The events of 10 years ago has led to more death, as servicemen and women, civilians and children have paid the price for this attack on America on it's own soil.
All this loss and sadness breaks my heart. I hope that those who have lost friends and family members in the decade since are able to move on with their lives and find some happiness, even though they may never fully recover from this tragic early century.

The Dresden Dolls song 'Truce' sums up some of the feelings that are associated with this, as well as being a rather beautiful song.

http://youtu.be/3ICrNCLCtV4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat.