Tuesday 16 August 2011

Getting Old

In less than a month I turn 25, which isn't usually considered old, but when most of your friends are a year or more younger than you, it certainly feels it. Because of the way school years are organised, September babies are the oldest in the year. One of my best friend's is 7 months younger than me, the other 3 years younger. Even my boyfriend is a year younger (although I didn't know that when I met him).
When I was younger I thought that by 25 I'd have it all figured out, a great job, a home of my own, a wonderful partner, no money troubles, life would be good. By my age my mum had been married for 2 years, my nan had been married, become a mother and she never lets me forget it.
I don't have a great job (yet), I'm sleeping in my childhood room, I do have a wonderful boyfriend, money is still tight and things could be a lot better. But I have achieved things.
In my family at large, I'm one of the first to go to university (behind a couple of my cousins), I've travelled to countries my parents never have (and they're well travelled), I've worked several different jobs, some while studying, met a lot of awesome people, seen some wonderful things, had adventures both big and small, learned a lot about myself and still have more to do, see and be.
I know this, but still a tiny part of me is sad, that having reached a quarter of a century, I still don't have it all planned out, the way I did when I was a kid.
I guess life isn't as easy as you want it to be, and I'm not a famous writer, or someone to admire. I'm just me, trying to make it in a world which has become a lot tougher to achieve in.
So Happy Birthday all you 25-year-olds out there. Maybe this is our time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat.