Friday 17 June 2011

Books that make me cry

I've been doing a lot of reading, one of the benefits of having a surfeit of time on my hands I suppose. But it seems I've been picking books that make me well up and weep. Both The Girl In Times Square by Paullina Simons and When God Was A Rabbit by Sarah Winman have reduced me to sobs this week. Both deal with some sad stuff, cancer and death in the former, 9/11 and death in the latter. I know this makes me a soppy idiot, but when a book is well written and tugs on the heart strings, I cry at the sad bits. Other books make me laugh, and cannot be read on public transport as the stares of my fellow passengers can be a bit embarrassing, these include everything by Terry Pratchett, and the two volumes of biography on comedian Billy Connelly that his wife, Pamela Stephenson, wrote. All are guilty of making me laugh in public, although they're not alone.
I always think it's a sign of excellent writing when a book affects your emotions, changes your mood, makes you think. Talented and skilled authors know how to lure the reader in and then make them connect with the characters and the story, in whichever way they want.
Perhaps I should read a book that makes me giggle, like The Pirates! series by Gideon Defoe (very funny books indeed) or Marc Acito's How I Paid for College and Attack of the Theatre People (also hilarious). Or perhaps I ought to concentrate and solely read the words of Neil Gaiman (literary genius) and get on with my dissertation.
What are you reading??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat.