Thursday 7 October 2010

Pause for Poetry

Today is National Poetry Day, and while I blogged about this over at ABADBW, I haven't mentioned it here. I love poetry, not just writing it, but also reading it. Some of my favourite poets include current Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy, Wendy Cope, T.S Eliot, Spike Milligan, Simon Armitage, William Shakespeare, Seamus Heaney, W.B Yeats, Pablo Neruda and Andrew Marvell, and that doesn't include my individual favourite poems which are sometimes by completely different poets.
These year's theme is Home. Over on Twitter, Poetry Day UK are asking people to tweet lines from poems about home. I chose "I must arise and go now, and go to Innisfree/And a small cabin build there" which is by Yeats.
So, what's your favourite poem/poet and what poem makes you think of home?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Cool! I wish I was a better poet. I get lost in the rhyming usually. Yeats is a beautiful poet. I don't know any poetry lines off the top of my head but I do love Robert Frost's poetry & Emily Dickinson's. They are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know that it's NPD today! I'm afraid it's a bit too late to engage now, though. Not really much of a poetry buff, but I do enjoy "old-fashioned" poetry. Shakespeare and the like:)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat.