Thursday 19 August 2010

Trashy films

I can be really particular about what I read. Anything with glowing vampires, schoolboy wizards with scars on their foreheads, or mysteries hidden in old artworks no thanks (Stephanie Meyer, J.K Rowling and Dan Brown I'm looking at you, what were your editors thinking? Oh wait, they weren't!) But that's a rant for another day.
Someone pointed out to me the other day, as I quoted Mean Girls, that I don't treat films in the same way. They're right. I originally wanted to do Film Studies with English Lit at uni, I dropped film after attending one class and one screening. I had been put off anyway by the incredibly pretentious film students I'd met at an open day at another uni when I'd been deciding where to go. I have film student friends, for the most part they manage to keep their pretensions to themselves, and some will admit to loving cheesy, trashy or just plain bad films.
Which is where I come in. I love a good (or should that be bad?) trashy, cheesy film. I watched Bride Wars today, it's a terrible film really, but it didn't require any intellectual thought or energy to watch. That's not to say I don't enjoy other types of film, one of my favourite's is Bringing Up Baby, a screwball comedy starring Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.
I also love Japan's Studio Ghibli, some of those are not really aimed at children, and Paris Je'taime which is in French and requires concentration as do all subtitled films. But trashy films are fun, I will watch pretty much anything with a ballet in it, and some of them (*cough* Center Stage *cough*) are incredibly awful as films go, but the dancing can be incredible. I just wish I could move like that.
I grew up watching some pretty dire stuff, the late 90s/early 00's were not great years for film making, especially not for teenagers. But we didn't care then, and I don't think I want to care now. Just as I know that some incredibly bright people read the most ghastly trash, because they don't have to engage with the text and it lets their minds relax (or so they tell themselves, I admit I've read the odd trashy book too), so I will continue to watch terrible films when I just want to be entertained not educated, and when I just don't care about my brain being engaged, and so should you!!
So what trashy, cheesy films is everyone else out there watching??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat.