Wednesday 17 February 2010

The city called me so I came...

I am definitely a city girl. I do badly in the countryside (not least because of the geese issue, more of which another time). I like big cities, crowds, buildings, hustle, bustle, noise and chaos. I grew up in the North London suburbs, which lacks all of that, but does have good tube links to the heart of town. Partly it's the opportunity to do some serious people watching, but the museums, galleries, parks, markets and shops (oh the shops!) are all part of it. Each different part of London has a distinct character and flavour. Whether it's the eclecticism of Camden, the markets in Covent Garden, the theatres along Shaftesbury Avenue, the smells of Chinatown and Brick Lane, or the glorious architecture everywhere, London has no one particular defining trait. Perhaps its history, and the melting pot of different peoples and cultures, its particular blend of high and low, make it so hard to define, to categorise.
To me it's home, and there are days when I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Walk the streets of London, never be in the same place twice, an adventure on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat.